A line of code can be many things – an amazing feature, a beautiful UI, a transformative algorithm. The faster this line of code reaches millions of users, the sooner it impacts their lives. As a Software Engineer, Tools and Infrastructure, you will be at the heart of Google’s engineering process building software that empowers engineering teams to develop and deliver high quality products quickly. We are focused on solving the hardest, most interesting challenges of developing software at scale without sacrificing stability, quality, velocity or code health.
We ensure Google’s success by partnering with engineering teams and developing scalable tools and infrastructure that help engineers develop, test, debug and release software quickly. We impact thousands of Googlers and billions of users by increasing the pace of product development and ensuring our products are thoroughly tested. We are champions for code health, testability, maintainability and best practices for development and testing.
Having access to all of Google’s platforms and vast compute resources provides a unique opportunity to grow as an engineer. We typically work in small, nimble teams that collaborate on common problems across products and focus areas. As a result, the exposure to this broad set of problems provides diverse technical challenges as well as accelerated career growth.
It’s our job to help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you’ll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!), or producing internal communications and events for our employees. Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be an enthusiastic team player – a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn’t frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
- Contribute to engineering efforts from planning and organization to execution and delivery to solve complex engineering issues in tools and testing.
- Design and build advanced automated testing frameworks.
- Design and build tooling and infrastructure to help engineering teams measure and increase their velocity.
- Drive adoption of best practices in code health, testing, and maintainability.
- Analyze complex software systems and collaborate with and influence others to improve the overall design.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with development and/or test automation.
- Master’s or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Extensive knowledge of Unix/Linux environments.
- Deep knowledge of Internet technologies.
- Scripting skills in Perl, Shell or another common language.